Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tackling Step One - Will Now Pee Only in Toilet


So, step one involves getting rid of anything that I can pee in or on. And that should be easy....right? Well, for a dedicated POAS Addict (again, another wannababyese word, standing for Pee On A Stick), not so easy. I mean, it's almost like yanking the needle out of a heroin addict's arm...OK, I can exaggerate a little, right? But seriously, TTC women are trained to pee on sticks. And there are so many sticks available to tinkle on. My personal addiction is twofold - Answer Ovulation Predictor Sticks (OPK's) and First Response Early Response home pregnancy tests (HPT's). Luckily, I have not yet progressed to the ClearBlueEasy Fertility Monitor...it hurts me to think about shelling out $270 for the monitor and $50/month for the sticks. So I guess I do have my limits...I have only about a $5/day habit. But still, I guess that qualifies me for rehab.
So, follow my lead. Head to bathroom...open cabinet...grab every box of pee sticks...kiss them good-bye. Are you doing ok?? Okay, now for the hard part. Put them into the trash can....empty trash can into thick, heavy duty trash bag....now throw into big garbage can where all of last week's rotting food is found. And if you even THINK about digging them out of there, just imagine the raging urinary tract infection that could ensue.
Now, I will list all benefits from completing step one.
1. Depending on the cost of your habit, you will be saving money. For me? I am saving about $50.00 per month (man, that sounds hefty now that I am confessing it...what a weight lifted off my shoulders).
2. You will no longer have pee all over your hands.
3. You will be shaving 10 minutes off of your morning (or lunchtime or afternoon or evening or midnight...) routine.
4. Your husband will no longer walk into the bathroom and say "What the hell is this???" (the first time) or "Not AGAIN!!!" (subsequent encounters).
5. You can't see a big fat negative if you don't pee to begin with.
6. You can avoid those awkward "what the Hell was she doing in there???" stares when you come out of the bathroom at work after your lunchtime OPK check.
So, I know that not all "overconceivers" will be able to avoid POAS. For all you ladies undergoing treatments, I know that the OPK is often required for your treatment. So, please, follow doctor's orders, and you may skip some of step one. But please, all of us, let's stop feeding the beast. Get rid of those HPT's. Test ONLY when you are at least 12dpo, or better, when you are late for your period. And READ THE BACK OF THE BOX. Only 60% of women get a BFP at 10dpo, 83% at 11dpo, 86% at 12dpo, and 93% on the day of the missed period. You could be that 7%!
**A final note about testing. If you saw my slideshow, you saw the photo of my lovely false +. Yeah, those don't happen, right??? Bullshit. Do not buy Target brand tests - or any test that has blue dye instead of pink. I got THREE false positives. Talk about cruel!

No comments:

Post a Comment