Friday, July 3, 2009

Step Two - Rid Self of Baby Things Wish List


Okay, so could you just EAT the little crocheted booties in that picture??? Baby things are designed to make the maternal instincts just swoon. And swoon I do...right into Babies R' Us on occassion. Or BabiesR'Us.com when I want to be a bit more anonymous. I love looking at it all. It's an assault on the maternal senses. The sickeningly cute floral prints of the Pack & Play that I will soon have in my living room. The feel of a plush baby afghan against my cheek. The smell of powder permeating the aisles. The squeal of an infant in the toy aisle, grabbing anything and everything. It is almost cruel and unusual punishment for the Mommy Wannabe. So when I decided my trips to the local Baby Bazaar were too much to bear, I stuck to the internet store. And there I learned I could create a wish list...and keep it private. Ooooooh - sounds so fun!!!! I rationalized it to myself that I could see just how much all of this was going to cost. Nothing wrong with planning for the future, right? So I started pointing and clicking, adding everything I thought I needed into that little cart.
I picked furniture. The cutest baby bedding EVER. Strollers. Sheets. Swings. Slings. Toys. Tubs. Towels. Rattles. Movers. Shakers. Spout Covers. Diapers. Diaper Caddies. Diaper Covers. Diaper Genies (must have the top of the line model). Onsies. Receiving blankets. Play Yards. Play Mats. Play Tables. Monitors. Bibs. Burpcloths. Boppie pillows. Boppie pillow covers. Boppie bouncers. Boppie changing pads. Boppie changing pad covers. Man, those Boppie people could get convicted for running a monopoly for God's sake. And over $3,000 later, I was done...and terrified. Where the hell were we gonna come up with $3,000 for basic baby needs?? So this little exercise let my maternal hormones peak, only to dip with the strength of a ten ton wrecking ball. True, we have a lovely savings account. Which I was counting on to supplement the ridiculous costs of day care in the Mid-Atlantic area. True, I had chosen the top-of-the-line products in every category. I guess a $600 snow-white chenille glider with matching "nursing stool" (baby speak for ottoman) isn't totally necessary. Or practical for that matter...And look at that sweet little outfit in the picture - absolutely pristine - until Baby has explosive diarrhea all over it.
So, step two was a little easier to overcome. I went onto Babies R' Us.com and erased my wish list. And I feel as if my soul has been purged. I will not become a victim of baby-thing buying mania. I will not re-enter the domain of baby-thing buying until I am at least 12 weeks along with my little bean. And the only thing I will enter Babies R' Us for is to buy things for Pippie (what I have nicknamed my future niece or nephew - my sister is 8 weeks along).

2 comments:

  1. That is sometimes a very difficult task to do. Very strong of you to get rid of that list at Babies R'Us. Hope you get your baby belly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was definitely a bold move... And a good one at that. I had no idea you could make WISH lists!!! I will be sure to avoid one! KMFC for both of us

    (Bobbi)

    ReplyDelete